Are there many flowering trees in Phoenix AZ and other locations in the state?
What is one of the most popular trees with purple flowers in Arizona?
Do you often see this Arizona tree with purple flowers, or is it rare?
In this article, we’ll explore a popular purple flowering tree Arizona residents enjoy growing. The jacaranda tree is one of the most well-known purple flowering trees you can find in Arizona, and it is very popular—not rare at all.
The article below will give you plenty of information and guidance to help you choose whether or not this type of tree is a good choice for your landscaping needs. You’ll find info about the watering, lighting, space, and other needs of these trees to help you get started.
With the help of this information, you can choose whether or not Arizona trees with purple flowers are right for you. From there, you can find some pictures at the end of the article to give you further inspiration.
Read on to find out more about purple flowering trees in Arizona.
Purple Flower Tree Arizona
1. What is the name of this tree, and what is its scientific name?
- This tree is commonly referred to as a jacaranda.
- The scientific name of the tree is jacaranda mimosifolia.
2. What does it look like, and where is it native to?
- The tree has a thick brown trunk that grows from a central root system but branches into multiple sections low to the ground. It is covered in bright purple flowers that can become extremely vibrant in color. The flowers grow in tight clusters near each other.
- This tree is originally native to Argentina and Bolivia. However, it has been brought to the United States and enjoys the climate in Arizona well enough to thrive in this region, too.
3. Are there different varieties of this tree?
- Yes, there are two varieties. The first is called Jacaranda mimosifolia ‘Alba’ and it grows large white flowers. It can grow up to 40 feet in height and is the much larger of the two varieties.
- The second variety is called Jacaranda mimosifolia ‘Bonsai Blue.’ It is considered a dwarf version of the tree and grows bright purple-blue flowers.
4. How big does this tree get, and how much space does it need?
- The Bonsai Blue variation of the tree grows up to 12 feet in height and about eight feet in width. It needs about ten feet of space in your lawn.
- The Alba variation grows up to 40 feet tall and can grow up to 60 feet in width. It is not generally considered small enough for lawn space.
5. Where are some good and bad places to plant this tree?
- This tree needs to be planted in a location with a lot of bright, full sunlight. It needs at least six hours of sun per day, but more is much better.
- It should not be planted too close to structures, since it will spread and may get in the way of these structures.
6. How long does it take this tree to mature?
- It takes this tree at least 5 years, and sometimes up to 7 years, to mature. This means that it will not start growing flowers until it reaches this point.
7. What soil type and pH is best for this tree?
- The jacaranda tree needs a sandy type of soil that drains well. It should have a somewhat acidic pH, but it should not be too acidic. The soil should not be too heavy, as it may retain too much moisture.
8. How much sunlight does this tree need, and can it handle desert sunlight?
- This tree needs at least six hours of sunlight per day, but more if you want it to flower. It handles desert sunlight very well and can hold up nicely to the bright sunlight of Arizona.
9. What are the hardiness zones for this tree?
- This tree is hardy for USDA zones 9 through 11
10. How much water does this tree need, and is it drought tolerant?
- If the top three inches of soil are completely dry, it’s probably time to water your tree. They need to be watered regularly, sometimes every day, depending on the climate and weather.
- This tree is not drought tolerant and should be watered year-round.
11. What time of year does the tree bloom?
- This tree blooms in the spring, although it may continue blooming well into late summer and even early fall depending on the tree’s health. You can also encourage your tree to continue blooming longer by providing it with the ideal growing conditions for its health.
12. What kinds of insects and animals like this tree?
- Bees and hummingbirds both enjoy this tree because of its large flowers and its bright colors. If you are looking for a plant to encourage pollinators in your yard or garden, this is a great choice for your needs.
13. Is the tree prone to diseases, and can you prevent any of them?
- The tree is not prone to diseases, but aphids do like chewing on their leaves. You can get rid of aphids on your trees by treating them with neem oil, which is a natural method that works without chemicals.
14. Should you fertilize or prune this tree?
- These trees should be fertilized once per year with a nitrogen-rich organic fertilizer. However, they should not be fertilized any more often than this, as over-fertilizing can cause the trees to drop their flowers.
15. Can you grow this tree indoors at all?
- No, this tree is not appropriate for growing indoors. It may be able to be started indoors, but should be planted outside before it reaches maturity, or it will not ever grow flowers.
16 How is this tree propagated?
- Pick the dry seed pods from the tree before they drop. Remove the seeds, then soak them for 24 hours. Lay the soaked seeds on top of soil and sprinkle a little more soil on top. Make sure the soil remains moist for the next two weeks, but do not over-water. If the seeds are viable, they should sprout in about two weeks.
Are you still looking for some idea of how a jacaranda tree can help improve the appearance of your lawn or garden? If so, you should take a look at some of the best photos of these trees to give you some more inspiration.
Here are a few pictures of this tree with purple flowers Arizona gardeners love.
This image shows a large, beautiful jacaranda tree loaded with purple flowers. There are multiple trees in the image as well.
This picture has been edited to make the purple of the flowers even more vibrant. However, it is still a beautiful image that shows just how well the purple flowers stand out against the green backdrop.
This image shows a single jacaranda tree standing in front of green trees and on a green lawn. It is full of purple flowers that make it an exceptionally beautiful part of the landscape.